September 26, 2019

Today, we began our class with the concept attainment model. I thoroughly enjoyed learning how to apply this model as I found it very engaging. The examples and non-examples the presenters gave us of “living vs non-living” was a great way to illustrate how this model can be used in the classroom. We completed a worksheet to show us which verbs are appropriate to use when asking students to display an answer which I felt was very helpful. The big topic in todays was professionalism which something I feel that I needed to have more answers on. Between our class discussion and the presentation, I gained much insight into all things that make a professional when it comes to teaching. Learning our roles through the school act and the other organizations we will be a part of was very beneficial. There was lots of information and I feel as though I soaked so much of it in because it is such an important part of being an educator as well as a role model. The teaching standards document as well as the BCTF Code of Ethics were helpful documents to be presented as I had never fully understood what they were. I thoroughly enjoyed the presentation and how engaging he was worth us. Any questions we had were answered and he created a comfortable environment for us to ask them.

October 10, 2019

I found todays class the most insightful and engaging one yet. I absolutely loved learning about multiple intelligences and how we all fit into one or multiple of the categories. I was aware that students learned differently but seeing all of the categories that students may be intelligent in was very eye opening and relatable. I identified as  both a logical and interpersonal learner and it was interesting to see how the people around me had such different intelligences. I believe that knowing how each of my students learn is critical to their success in the classroom as well as my success as a teacher. Encompassing all of the multiple intelligences throughout a day in the classroom will not just benefit the ones who identify in that category but will be beneficial for all of the students in the classroom. It made me reflect on not to be stagnant and repetitive with my future lessons I do in practicum as it is important to get student working in a variety of ways. In addition, we looked at many ways to grab student’s attention in the classroom. The document containing the attention getting techniques will surely be something I look at when I am in practicum so I can utilize these strategies instead of simply clapping every time I want their attention. Lastly, the discussion on the alternates ways of addressing the students was awesome because I am aware that I say ‘you guys” too often so it is a habit that I want to break out of.

October 24

Today, my group and I presented the integrative model. Overall, it went pretty well and we worked really well as a team. We did a Venn diagram activity with the class so they were able to compare and contrast facts from two separate Canadian animals. The integrative model can be used in a variety of ways in the classroom but would mostly be beneficial for science and social studies. The big topic in class today was why do students misbehave. It was insightful to hear the variety of reasons why it makes occur as I had not thought of some of them. I could reflect it to a couple of the students in my practicum and how I think there might be other reasons for their misbehavior in class. It is important to realize that maybe there are unknown medical issues and stresses from home brought to the class that may be why a student is acting out. Being aware that low key responses to misbehavior are a critical first step could alleviate an issue before it becomes bigger. We empathized how important it is to build relationships and that is an important step in managing behavioral issues. I believe that building relationships with students is the most important thing when they come into the classroom. I want to make sure they can trust me and know that I care for them so that any issues can hopefully be alleviated by the bond that we share. Encouragement as well goes a long way with minimizing these behavior incidents as students just sometimes need that little bit of extra praise.

November 7, 2019

Today’s topic, we talked lots about ministry categories, special needs students and IEPs. This is a concept that is super current in our education today and has a great effect on students, teachers and the school itself. It was interesting to see the funding that each student receives based on their designation and that many designations receive no additional funding. This all ties in with inclusive education and how it should be implemented in the classroom. Implementing inclusive education seems like a daunting task in the classroom as after witnessing in practicum, sometimes it is hard to include all of the methods to make sure every student is getting what they need. However, getting IEPs in place for students is what can make a student become successful in the classroom and learning how those get created was great to hear. I know in my practicum class; I only have one student with an IEP but my teacher mentor wishes that two other students could have them too but it is hard to get them in place. A lot needs to be in place for an IEP to be formulated and lots of people have to be a part of it. Learning the difference between modifications and adaptations was also insightful and something I will take forward with me. Lastly, I though the potato activity was really awesome and a great way for students to celebrate their unique qualities.

Reflection on teaching & learning reflections

These are a few of the reflections that I made during our teaching and learning course last semester. After every class, we were supposed to reflect on what we learned that class and dive into our thoughts about it. This course was important for introducing myself to many of the concepts that surround the field of education. I soaked up so much information in this class as well as the teaching and learning course this semester as well. There is so much that encompasses “teaching and learning” but my professors have done an amazing job in sharing with us the pieces that will be the most beneficial. Looking through theses reflections, I can see how much I have learned already and how I have applied so much of it to my courses this semester and my planning for practicum lessons.