Volunteering
  • Lloyd George Elementary classroom assistant (90 hours)
  • Parkcrest Elementary classroom assistant (25 hours)
  • Rayleigh Elementary and Lloyd George Elementary Kindergarten Orientations (10 hours)
  • SPCA (120 hours)
  • SKSS Link Crew (50 hours)
Extra-Curricular Activities
  • Downhill skiing
  • Cross country skiing
  • Volleyball
  • Hiking with my dogs
  • Camping
  • Wake surfing

Reflection on volunteering and extra-curricular activities

My volunteering is what made me one hundred percent want to become a teacher and apply to the education program. I spent lots of time at my old elementary school at Lloyd George and had the opportunity to be in a grade 5 class for a whole year. I was able to immerse myself in all parts of the classroom and build incredible relationships with many of the students. I was able to learn about the many diverse needs of the children and the importance of creating an inclusive environment. I also did some volunteering in some other classrooms to become familiar with other grades and different teaching styles. I was able to volunteer at three different kindergarten orientations which was so much to fun to see how excited many of the little ones were and helping to create activities to make them feel more comfortable.  My extra-curricular activities surround many of my interests and things that I like to do for fun. I believe it is important to incorporate a teachers interests into the classroom so that the students get to know their teacher better. It is also important to learn the interests and hobbies of the students so that it can be incorporated into the material in the classroom. This makes the learning more engaging and valuable for students if they can apply it to their own passions.